Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Mid week Updated 9/10

Jenna received her first penpal letters in the mail this week. She was so excited. Thanks Satori and Aunt Pat. She was able to read most of the letters by herself. We will be writing back real soon.

I found this cute money bingo game here http://lets-explore.net/blog/2010/08/learning-coin-values-with-money-bingo/ and we also made up another game that you need to count up the coins. By the weekend she should be able to go over to the store and buy a treat with her $1 in change. I made a deal with her when she knew all her coins, their amounts and was able to add up the change, she could buy a treat from the store.

I scored a bunch of books at a teacher's yard sale. The reading books are a mixture of science, social studies, chapter books and much more. I also picked up some workbooks and teacher guides for different subjects. A set of about 100 wooden blocks to use with our scales and to have fun with math. Jenna and I have already been putting our new books to use.

We watched the movie Ratatouille the other day. After that Jenna got the cooking bug, so she made some pizza bagels.

We have been fishing this week with our phonics and our magnet letters have been used alot this week. I noticed that Jenna is not only learning to read with our phonics program, but she is also learning to spell at the same time. I went through alot of the words from previous lessons and she knew how to spell alot of the words. So we are working on th words for reading and spelling this week. I keep changing our spelling around because I haven't found the right fit yet. Hopefully this will be our spelling program as well as our phonics. I am going to search out some spelling rules to go with.

This week I will be working on making more games up for reading and math. Anyone know of any good sites? I am also on the lookout for some creative writing program for my little writer. I had one ordered a while ago but it was back ordered for so long that I ended up canceling it. I need to google to see if there is anything online.

updated 9/10

Math- coins mastered and we have less than 10 lessons left in our Horizon K book

Reading - OPGTR - we are up to lesson 62 - Jenna is doing great when it comes to reading, she loves  her lessons on the dry erase board. She has been reading to me daily from a variety of books and I am reading to her as well. I am going to be adding this sometime soon to our reading time http://earlybirdhomeschool.com/2009/10/story-maps-download/

Writing- Handwriting without tears k is done. We will be moving on to the first grade book next week. Jenna wrote her weekly penpal letter, she is enjoying this so much. She picked up some more penpals this week. I think she will be writing penpals more than just once a week. We started working on writing complete sentences, capitalization and punctuation. She is catching on fast.

Another good week here at Jenna Academy.

4 comments:

TechWife said...

Dry erase boards are great, aren't they? I still want to know why Rocket Boy does so much better with his math when he is writing on one, though.

MissMOE said...

Sounds like a great week. I like the math games here: http://www.mathgamesusa.com/

I've bought them from here:
http://www.currclick.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=202

Robyn said...

You had a great week! My ds6 does a lot on the white board! Sorry... no good links for math games for you. Hopefully others will have some!

Norah said...

I really should look into math games. Sounds like you scored at the yard sale.