Saturday, September 18, 2010

Week eight is done

Wow, 40 days of school so far this school year. I am trying to keep up with Jenna, she is blowing me away how fast she is picking everything up.

We had another good week her at Jenna Academy.

Math - Horizon K - 2 pages left in the first book. This week she learned about finding the perimeter of a rectangle, we are working on the 3's addition facts and started to learn about the minutes on the clock. She knows all her coins, how much they are worth. So we printed out a piggy bank and she decorated it (googly eyes, pink pipe cleaner for the tail, crumpled up tissue paper and some fun foam for the ears). Then we made it into a book. She wrote This is Jenna's bank. Then we cut and colored pictures of each coin, which she glued in her book and wrote what amount each coin is worth.

Reading - Ordinary parents guide to teaching reading - I love this book, it is so easy to use. We are now on lesson 81. This week we have learned about silent e, soft c and g. In the beginning we just used the book, but I could see that was too boring for her. So we went to the dry erase board and I write out the words and sentences on there. She started using starfall again, which is what we used when learning her letters and cvc words (before OPGTR). And of course she's been reading daily to me and I am to her as well. She did some pages in her Eplode the code 2.



Writing - Handwriting without tears 1st grade - started this past week. She wrote her second letter to her penpal Satori (she had hiccups and an itchy eye while doing this so some of her letters are squiggly lol). We have some new penpals that we need to write to next week.

Spelling - We stopped testing each week, but continue to learn new words. And I can tell if she is spelling them right because she uses new words in her fun writing. I am going to continue this way using our phonics program and spelling rules.

She wrote a book and gave it to her older sister. It was a story about how she would like a pet(a dog).

Next week we are having a welcome Fall party, with goodies and games. This will kick off the start of our Fall and farm unit.

1 comment:

Daisy said...

For your coin book. My hubby uses these rhymes in his first grade classroom. Your daughter might like them.

Penny, Penny
Easily spent
Copper, brown
And worth one cent.

Nickel, Nickel
Thick and fat
You’re worth five cents,
I know that.

Dime, Dime,
Little and thin
I remember
You’re worth ten.

Quarter, Quarter
Big and Bold
You’re worth 25,
I’m told.


Sounds like you had a wonderful week!