Friday, August 6, 2010

End of our second week




So far so good. Jenna and I are loving homeschooling. We went off schedule some days to play with friends, but we still got what we needed to get done on those days. I like the flexiablity that I have with homeschooling , to be able to let jenna go out and play during school.

Earlier in the week we did our first Science experiment. catch a rainbow, http://www.kidzone.ws/science/rainbow.htm. Jenna was so cute she put her science goggles (aka rob's work goggles) on when we did this experiment. Then she wrote in her science journal the supplies that were used and a picture of what she saw. We also made some colors using primary colors. She again wrote in her science journal, which two colors made a new color.

We worked on our Horizon math, she is learning how to add using the number line. Writing her numbers, like 20 and up. And reviewing her pennies and dimes.

Jenna had her second spelling test today, she got them all right. Her words were, in, is, it, big, did and love. I also retested her on last weeks words, she got them all right, too. There are other words she has learned to spell just from asking when she is writing for fun, and she now can spell on her own. Some of the words are eat(grandpa taught her that), we, you, will, everyone in the families names, can, I, to, do and many more words. I am going to make her up a file folder word wall for some big words that she uses alot.

Our handwriting program is going good. She is finally seeing for herself that when she forms her letters from the top, they look alot neater. Now to get her to apply that to her everyday fun writing. Speaking of writing, I set her up a writing center and wil be adding more goodies to her her writing table. So far she has some fuzzie pencils, colored pencils, glitter pens, regular pens and markers. A bunch of different size envelopes, some flowere shaped cards, tags, a bunch of paper, some notebooks, stickers, little sticky notes, some clipboards, some writing printouts and some colored clips. I need to make her up some blank books this weekend.

Reading is going good. We are still working on her short vowel words and sight words. I ordered this http://www.walmart.com/ip/3132086 and some black ink(so I can print off the rest of the phonic books). I am looking into an incentive to get her reading more. I know she is looking forward to being able to read the Arthur books herself.

As I am posting this, Jenna is writing up a storm at her writing table. I am so glad she love's it.

1 comment:

Karin said...

Glad you like Horizons Math! My big girl also enjoyed it when we were using it!!