Friday, August 20, 2010

End of week 4

I can't believe how much Jenna has learned in the past four weeks and how well she has adjusted to a structured school year. Unlike last year which was very relaxed and mostly all play. As of right now, we make sure to get the basics done each day and add in everything else when we can. I would rather her be outside playing with friends.

Here is what we have been working on this week.

Math - Horizons K - We are now counting to 100 with no problem at all, reviewing adding using the number line, introduced the ruler and measuring, reviewed place value and reviewing dimes and nickles.

Reading - started OPGTR - we are on the consonants blends (which she is doing very well with). She is reading the free progressive phonic books and we started ETC book 2 (we never did the first book) and she liked it.

Handwriting - HWOT K - She is almost done with this and I am going to use the double line paper I have to make her some copy work. I have seen improvement in the past 4 weeks, but I need to remind her to follow through and do her best in all her writing(not just the HWOT). I have started teaching her about sentences and when to capitalize.

Spelling - We are pretesting on Monday's and using the words she spells wrong for her spelling that week. I am also looking at her everday writing for misspell words and we will use them. This week her words were, her last name, got, put, sand, hand and stop. She tested today and got them all right. I will review these with her next week to see if she is still spelling them right.

Science - She has some rockets waiting to be built and then we will try them out. I plan on adding more science after summer.

Social Studies - We are getting ready to do community at the beginning of the month. Visiting the businesses right her in town and creating a map of our town.

Art- Will be starting real soon. Artistic pursuit preschool and we will be using some free online art for K.

We will be adding our Wordly Wise K vocabulary real soon to our schooling. We are both excited about this.

I have some other things that will be in the works for her schooling, like adding music and one day a week having a nursery rhyme or poetry tea. She really liked the tea idea.

So this was another good week and hopefully many more to come.

7 comments:

Tina said...

Great beginnings for your academy ;)

Kash said...

Sounds like a good beginning on the journey, and a good week! :)

Daisy said...

LOL. My son just read the word rockets over my shoulder. Now he's jealous. Sounds like a wonderful week.

Robyn said...

Looks like a great week! I felt so calm reading about your week... nice feeling! Thanks for sharing!

The Outgoing Introvert said...

We are not starting our school until August 30th but I am so excited to see how my son is going to do with it since this will be his first year homeschooled. I am so glad to hear that it is going so well for ya'll!! That is fantastic. Love your blog, btw!

dawn said...

Nice to see Week 4 being so smoothly!

Monica said...

Sounds like a fun week!